Tuesday 3 May 2016

30 BEFORE 30

Last week's blog post was a bit of a downer, so I wanted to focus on something a bit more positive. I've never been a huge fan of bucket lists, I think they can often get filled with totally unattainable things and end up instead being a depressing list of failure, or they're just filled with cliches. But when I heard about 30 Before 30, 30 things to accomplish before the age of 30, it felt a little different. Like, it could be more about the type of person I want to BE by 30, the kinds of things I want to achieve or do, rather than a bucket list of out-there once-in-a-life-time things. I wanted to make a list because while I'm trying not to think too much about my immediate future, about whether I'll ever get back to where I was health-wise, work full-time again etc, it's nice to think a bit more abstractly about the future. 


My 30 Before 30 list is mostly frivolous and materialistic, because I am frivolous and materialistic, but there's some more serious life-things I'd like to accomplish, too.

Like number 2 on my list: Moving in with my boyfriend. We'll have been together 10 years this year, but circumstances thus far have meant we've spent most of that time in different parts of the country to each other, but we are finally back in the same city and very close to being able to move into our own place (as soon as I'm well enough, really).

And number 3: Have [redacted] amount in my savings. I'm big on saving, I've been saving my whole life (I don't know what FOR exactly, but my parents instilled the need for a savings account in me so a savings account I have) and there's a figure I'd like to hit before I hit 30.

And just as important, number 11: Staying debt-free. At the moment I just have the rest of my MacBook to pay off, which was a big  investment purchase at the end of January, but after that (aside from student loans) I'll be debt-free and would like to stay that way.

---

And there's the previously mentioned frivolous and materialistic elements, my favourite ones. There are *quite a few* of these, and they include things like:

Number 14: Buy a piece of original art. I love art, but most of the pieces on my walls are prints and the own original piece I own and treasure was a gift. So on my list is to buy myself a piece of original art at some point.

In at 17 I have: Own an expensive piece of furniture. Most of my furniture is/has been hand-me-downs or Ikea's finest. I'd love to own something beautiful and expensive, either bespoke or handmade by a little artisan company, or a gorgeous antique. 

And of course, number 7: Buy a designer bag. I have a lovely Kate Spade purse but all of my bags cost less than its RRP. I would love to be able to treat myself to a beautiful designer bag at some point!

---

Then there's the experiences, the things I'd love to do at some point, so why not before I turn 30?

Like number 4 on my list: Travel to 15 new places (outside the UK). I've recently discovered a love of visiting new countries and places, and I'd like to amp this up and go away more often. I'll do a post at some point in the future about the places on my travel wishlist.

At number 6 I have: Try 50 varieties of gin. I love gin, I love how a different mix of botanicals or a different distillation method can really alter the flavour. So I'd love to try 50 different gins before I hit the big 30. 

And there's number 27: Have a spa weekend. The height of opulence. I have a day of spa treatments booked in at the end of this month but I'd love to have a whole weekend somewhere glorious. 

---

Then there's the skills, the things I'd love to be able to do:

Such as number 1: Be able to speak fluent French. I love French, I regret not doing it past year 9 and I would love to be able to speak it properly.

And number 29, Be able to cook 10 dishes from memory. Right now I can cook like, 3 proper meals without needing a recipe (more if you count fajitas and quesadillas, though I'm not sure I do in this context as I've never used a recipe) and I would love to have a repertoire that's a bit more substantial.

In a similar vein, number 22: Be able to cook a roast dinner by myself. I've never even attempted this as my mum makes excellent roast dinners, but it is a valuable skill I feel I should possess by 30. 

---

And I have the enrichment activities, the things that will help me be the kind of person I want to be by 30.

Such as number 6: Grow my own herbs. I've tried to do this before and it went *poorly* but I think this was partly down to them being in a too-hot space, me not being home enough to water them and my general incompetence. I'd like to be the sort of person who has a successful herb growing situation going by 30. 

In at 15: Swim a mile. I love swimming and at the moment I can swim a kilometre. I'd love to push myself and be able to swim a mile by the time I hit 30. 

And finally and most importantly, number 4: Be able to touch my toes. Due to having tight back muscles and hamstrings, a thing my body's done to compensate for my lax joints, I've never been able to touch my toes. I want to be able to do this by 30. Not only can I finally stop feeling humiliated that I can't do it, it will show how much improvement I've made in my journey to strengthen my body and help minimise my pain. 

What is/would be on your 30 Before 30 list?

0 comments:

Post a Comment